Monday 27 August 2012

Something is rising in the North...

I decided today for breakfast to treat the family to freshly made bagels. Four hours in the making I can tell you it was all WELL WORTH IT!. Paul Hollywoods book, 100 Great Breads didn't have a recipe for them, so I did a search online and found a recipe by Rachel Allen. I've seen her on tv, and she's pretty good, so I thought I would give her bagel recipe a try. I woke up quite early around 6.30 to start the dough. (Millie was still sleeping so I didn't want to disturb her) As the recipe stated I could use a mixer or do it manually, I decided to try using my dough hook on my Kitchen Aid mixer (as normally I am quite the traditionalist and like to make anything bready by hand) So needless to say as long as it took to make these bagels, they were absoultely the BEST bagels I have ever eaten.  I'm not sure now if I will be able to eat another supermarket bagel again. Millie finally got up about the time that the proving had finished, so she was able to help me with the rest. It was a fairly easy recipe to make and I highly recommend it! Millie below shows you how easy it's done!
The proof is in the rising... Now that's a nice dome


Punch down the dough on a lightly floured surface

Divide the dough into 7 portions

   
Poke a hole in the middle and place on a prepared baking pan.

  
They need to prove again for another 10 mins or so, Time for a cuppa!


Boil them in water, this gives them their chewy texture- Careful there Millie, we don't want to poach you!

Brush with an eggwash, add topping and bake in the oven- OOOh they look so tempting

There you go! Sesame seed bagels- NOM!

The human's breakfast, scrambled eggs, juice and freshly baked bagels!

0 comments:

Post a Comment