Thursday 10 January 2013

A Very Hairy Experience...

Here is my step by step experiment on 'rooting' a cap! I have to say that with the Welsh wool I used it was easy to create this effect

I got the idea from a Pullip Japanese magazine, though it's not too informative and I can't read Japanese :-O It uses wefts of hair sewen onto a strip. I will look for these in future or try to sew my own! Please note I didn't put wool in all the holes, just 3/4 of the front of the cap and sides as I had too many holes and my wool was too thick!




I start off with cutting lengths of Welsh wool and a needle threader (though some fine wire looped and twisted would work well too)




You can see the underneath of the cap, I have been pulling yarn though and then knotting the end to keep it in place. I didn't do it but if I was doing again, I would snip off the end of the yarn so it doesn't get too full. When all is done, a little glue could be applied to the underneath to keep it all in place.



I pulled the threader in from under the cap


So the loop came through the top. I would then slide the yarn into the loop
and gently pull the yarn to the underside of the cap




I then tie a knot and pull the yarn from the top end so the knot is against the skull cap



Then ta daaaa! It's a wigged cap



This is just a simple first step version. I've never done any sort of root work before but I think for Makie dolls this came out great.

Some more experimentation to come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment