Wednesday 9 January 2013

Drilled Skull Plate for Makie Doll Tutorial Part DEUX

I finished this last night so this is part two of the Tutorial of preparing the wig cap for making a Rooted Makie Wig. I forgot to Mention before that you can purchase extra skull plate direct from the Makie shop for £9.

I decided with the yarn I plan on using that I needed a bigger hole than what I originally started with. I also found that by using a 2mm drill bit, it was a bit more sturdy and I didn't break any bits!. So as an amendment I would recommend trying as much as possible to use the hole punch to start the holes and then use the drill to re-drill them to make it bigger. Being a curved surface it is much better to have prestarted hole to drill the bit onto.

So... I re-drilled ALL the holes to 2mm

New Drill bits- so I drill again!


As you can see underneath there were some holes with little scraggly bits hanging out. I just wanted to tidy them up a bit (being pedantic and all)

I don't like the scraggly bits!


So I got a craft knife out and cut to my best ability as many of the nibbly bits off.
Careful not to cut yourself


I wanted a smooth surface on the top because I didn't want the 'hair' snagging at all so a light sanding over did the job. I used a fine grit sandpaper.


A fine gril, about - I used P180


To smooth the holes, I used a rotary tool round filing bit on the holes that still had a few rough bits. A 2mm round jewelers file will do the job too but I just didn't have one and improvised.


The start of a pin head?


So this is the finished product, I am quite pleased with the results!

Where a hole in the head is good!

This is the finished wig I made with the skull cap, but I will put up a full tutorial on how to make that :)
Lovely 100% Welsh Wool

0 comments:

Post a Comment